Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Inner Light

As you may or may not know, all of the titles for these blog entries are names of songs by the Beatles. This title "The Inner Light" from 1968 was a song written by George Harrison and based on a text from the Tao Te Ching which goes like this.

Without opening your door,
you can know the whole world.
Without looking out your window,
you can understand the Way.

The more knowledge you seek,
the less you will understand.
The Master understands without leaving,
sees clearly without looking,
accomplishes much without doing anything.

I suppose this is the Beatle song that comes to mind when I think about my work as a jail chaplain during the months of March-April. I chose this particular ministry based on my own prayer and movements of the Spirit during my long retreat. Maybe I will extend some of my thoughts and reflections here as I go. One of the most striking facets of life in the jail that I've noticed is the amount of barriers there are between ministers (chaplians, volunteers, etc.) and the inmates. It is a minor miracle just to get THROUGH all the red tape and orientations and check points ... simply to see someone and chat for a while. Security I suppose. To balance out the passage from the Tao, let me offer this passage from the Gospel of Luke 4:18 -- "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed." May that apply to all of us.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Hey Patrick,
It is good to hear from you. I have not read through your blog yet, but will do it soon. When do you get to Chicago and begin formation work? Good luck and God Bless you with the challenging work that awaits you.
I am doing well and enjoying my work in Peru. Still long ways to go with Spanish. However, I continue to inch my way along. Have not had a Cuba libre or sung John Denver since I left Cochabamba. I do hope that will change soon.
Let´s keep in touch pal. Take care and God Bless!
Stephen