Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Good morning, good morning

Cusco, Peru is almost 4000 meters above sea level, and it is a haven for tourists who enjoy backpacking. There are tons of cafes, churches, cutsie shoppes, and sounvenir stores. I am sure L.L. Bean would LOVE to have an office here. Most tourists are Germans or Scandanavians on their way to hiking adventures at Machu Picchu -- the ancient Inca shrine. As for me, I am also heading that way, but for more spiritual and inspirational reasons. I have always had bad feet, so I am not into hiking the old Inca Trail. Anyway I forgot my orthopedic shoes.

This picture shows the Cusco town center where I just walked through in order to reach this Internet spot. On the left is the main Cathedral, and on the right ... you guessed it ... the Jesuit church: always trying to compete with the diocese. The Jesuit community, ironically, is directly behind the cathedral, just off the left side of the photo.

This morning I took my coffee to the square at 7am to see it for the first time. I stood just to the right of the cathedral, where you see the arched buildings, and was bombarded by the early hawkers and vendors trying to sell me whatever they could. It seems the tourists were not awake yet, 'cept for me. It was peaceful and beautuful. Later this day (All Saints Day), I was treated to a tour of the Jesuit apostolates and adult education centers in the more remote barrios of Cusco. My Jesuit pal also drove me to a site of pilgrimage, El sanctuario del SeƱor de Huanca. It is a site of great importance for the local Catholics and pilgrims who walk through the mountains and beautiful valleys to reach this place. You can read more about that shrine by clicking here: http://www.santuariojesus.org/

Until my next post, keep the faith all. Fare thee well.
Patrick

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Hey Patrick,

Thanks for keeping us posted on your whereabout. Know that you are missed at the institute. Keep up the good work with the blog. You truly are model for bloggers.

Stephen