Sunday, October 30, 2005

Sun King


When Lennon and McCartney wrote this song for their final album, they were thinking of the power held by their manager, Alan Klein, an idiot of a fellow, whom John liked but Paul hated. Thus the split the following year ... and so it goes.

For my money, this song title refers to the red skin on my face ... the result of the Sun King of the heights of Bolivia and Peru. It only took a few minutes at the top of Calvario in Copacabana for my skin to turned parched. Then when I reached Peru the following day, I spent a few more hours in the market place at Puno and paid the price for not having sun screen. Here it is called bloqueo and comes in a small envelope for about 5 cents US. I bought five of them. Cough medicine costs even more.

Now here's the odd thing ... I got this sunburn dressed not in a bathing suit on the beach but in four layers of clothes and coats holding back a nasty cough earned in LaPaz. On this sunny sunny day in Puno, I wore a Tshirt under a long sleeved Tshirt, and on top of that a flannel shirt and then a windbreaker with hood. Yes, I wanted to prevent further coughing and cold, so I dressed warmly. Even though the temperature was 65 or so, the clothes were not uncomfortable, because it is so DRY!!! Rather, they were a help to ward off chill in the shade (and to protect me from VERY strong sunlight when I stepped out of the shade). It's like walking on the moon. Shade is about 40 degrees, and sun is about 70.

OK, the other thing I really like a lot is watching the toilet flush. Only down here in the southern hemisphere can one enjoy the contents of the bowl flush COUNTER CLOCKWISE. What a thrill.

Ah ... the famous Coriolis force. Now that's something the tour books don't tell ya about.

Many thanks to the Maryknoll community here in Puno for giving me a room for 2 nights before I take off Monday for Cusco. Their house is very convenient and friendly and loaded with tons of English books and USA video movies (all pirated). I will leave here Monday afternoon and send my next post from the friendly marketplace of Cusco, Peru. Hasta luego.

No comments: